Every Smile Starts With An Initial Consultation
Your initial consultation will give you the opportunity to meet our team, learn more about orthodontics, receive a complete initial exam, and find out which treatment options will best meet your needs. During your initial consultation, we will:
- Review your dental and medical history forms
- Perform an oral exam, take photographs and x-rays, if required, to determine whether treatment is necessary
- Help you to create a customized treatment plan, including an estimated treatment time
- Discuss all financial information, insurance options, and payment plans
- If treatment is indicated at the time of the exam, we may reserve some time following the exam for diagnostic records.
We invite all guardians who are involved in the decision-making process to attend in-person, over the phone, or via video conference. Please assist us by providing the following information at the time of your first visit:
- Any panoramic X-ray taken within the past six months
- Any other records that you may have available
Our team will be glad to answer any questions you may have, and we will provide all the information you need to determine which treatment is right for you. Please contact our practice to schedule your initial consultation.
What Happens Next?
You’re one step closer to achieving the smile you’ve always wanted! After your consultation, we will schedule a series of appointments with Dr. Millar, Dr. Ponce and our team.
1. Diagnostic records:
A 20 minute appointment, where we gather diagnostic information (photos, x-rays, scans & an oral exam) before starting treatment.
2. Active treatment starts:
Variable time based on specific treatment or delivery of appliances, for example:
- Placing braces takes 1-1.5 hours
- Adding Invisalign attachments takes 40 minutes
- Cementing a space maintainer takes 20 minutes
- Delivering aligners takes 20 minutes
At this appointment we will go over all the information you need to have a successful treatment, including cleaning and caring for your appliances.
3. Follow-up appointments to check progress:
Frequency is dependent on treatment (between 2-10 weeks intervals). We endeavour to offer every second appointment virtually (where possible and appropriate to treatment), making it easier to fit in appointments to busy work schedules or summer holidays!
After your active treatment is completed, you will receive retainers. We will advise you on when to wear these, and check in at regular intervals throughout the year to encourage compliance. You are always welcome to come back for a check up after finishing treatment!
Continue Visiting Your Dentist During Orthodontic Treatment
It is vital that you continue to visit your family dentist once every six months or more frequently for teeth cleanings and routine dental checkups, even during your orthodontic treatment. If extra dental care is needed, we will be happy to coordinate with your family dentist to make sure you receive the best possible care.
Orthodontics 101 | Appointments | Financial Information | Types of Braces | About Invisalign | Comfort Care | FAQs