How does a Quad Helix work?
The Quad Helix appliance is placed on the palate (or roof) of your mouth and used to expand the upper arch. The appliance will apply light, continuous forces to slowly expand the arch.
What can I expect?
- When the appliance is placed you may feel slight pressure on the upper teeth. If you experience any discomfort with this appliance you may choose to take Tylenol or Advil.
- Speech may be affected slightly by this appliance as it does cover the roof of your mouth. The more that you are able to speak, the faster you will adapt. Reading out loud, singing in the car or talking a lot at home are a few things that will help your speech get back to normal quickly.
- When the appliance is first placed you may produce extra saliva. As you get used to the appliance this will subside.
How do I care for the appliance?
- The Quad Helix appliance is very easy to maintain. Brush around the bands and wire work with extra care. You will be able to floss normally.
- Avoid eating foods that are sticky and chewy. These foods can cause the bands to become loose on the teeth. Hard or crunchy foods can also cause damage or break bands or wire work.
- If the appliance becomes loose or you have any questions or concerns please call us.