What are removable acrylic retainers?
These retainers are made of a transparent or coloured plastic (sometimes with sparkles!), which are molded to the shape of your teeth and palate. It is made specifically for you and is designed to maintain your teeth in the correct position. It is important that these are worn according to the instructions given, to help you keep your beautiful smile!
How often do I wear it?
- These retainers are to be worn at NIGHT TIME while you sleep. Due to the extended coverage on the roof of the mouth, the retainer may affect speech - which is why we recommend it for night-time use only.
- If you can tolerate the retainer during the day, you can wear it FULL TIME for the first two months, or until your next appointment.
- Please remove the retainers for eating and brushing. Though you can drink cold water with your retainers in.
How do I keep it clean?
- Carefully brush your retainers with a toothbrush and cold water every time you brush your teeth. Do NOT use hot water as it can distort the shape!
- For a deeper clean, we recommend using liquid dish or hand soap, or soaking them in a solution of diluted vinegar and water for 20 minutes, before rinsing thoroughly.
What else do I need to know?
- Always store the retainers in the case provided to you - do NOT wrap your retainers in a napkin, tissue or paper towel as it is easily thrown away or broken!
- Keep your pets and retainers safe - dogs will chew your retainers so keep them out of reach!
- If your retainer becomes loose or broken, please call us ASAP to have the retainer repaired. There may be an additional charge for lost or broken retainers.
Please bring your retainers and models to all future appointments to ensure it is fitting correctly.