What are removable clear retainers?
These retainers are made of a transparent plastic, which is molded to the shape of your teeth at the end of your treatment. It is made specifically for you and is designed to maintain your teeth in the correct position. It is important that these are worn according to the instructions given, to help you keep your beautiful smile!
How often do I wear it?
- These retainers are to be worn FULL TIME (22+ hours a day) for the first two months, or until your next appointment.
- You will then move to wearing it at night time indefinitely.
- Please remove the retainers for eating and brushing. Though you can drink cold water with your retainers in.
How do I keep it clean?
- Carefully brush your retainers with a toothbrush and cold water every time you brush your teeth. Do NOT use hot water as it can distort the shape!
- For a deeper clean, we recommend using liquid dish or hand soap, or soaking them in a solution of diluted vinegar and water for 20 minutes, before rinsing thoroughly.
What else do I need to know?
- Always store the retainers in the case provided to you - do NOT wrap your retainers in a napkin, tissue or paper towel as it is easily thrown away or broken!
- Keep your pets and retainers safe - dogs will chew your retainers so keep them out of reach!
- If your retainer becomes loose or broken, please call us ASAP to have the retainer repaired. There may be an additional charge for lost or broken retainers.
Please bring your retainers and models to all future appointments to ensure it is fitting correctly.
How do clear retainers differ from Invisalign aligners?
They are similar in that they have been specifically designed for you and your teeth, but they are not 'active' in that they are used to hold teeth in position, rather than move teeth like Invisalign (which are essentially removable braces). They are also made in our in-house lab and from a different type of plastic.